Re: [linux-audio-dev] non-destructive editing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] non-destructive editing
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: la loka   09 1999 - 17:40:56 EDT

On Sat, 09 Oct 1999, Benjamin GOLINVAUX wrote:
[...]
> The little complexity (unrelated to single file/multiple file choice) is the
> buffering
> modification when number of tracks/average file swith per minute increases...
>
> I'd like to provide users with a benchmarking system in order to tune the app
> first... but building a robust and elegant auto-tuning system is not an easy
> task...

You can measure average seek time and sustained transfer rate individually, and
then calculate the buffer size as a function of the number of tracks, and the
data rate/track.

Keep in mind that the shorter the benchmark is, the greater the risk that
you're measuring the average rather than the worst case. And only the worst
case is relevant if you need high reliability...

> >BTW, does anyone know of a fs that allows removing blocks in the middle of
> >files? (It's possible to do, but I'm not sure I would want to see the
> >resulting mess... :-)
>
> That must be the kind of fs Fairlight uses...

Probably, but it's possible that they put it inside files on a simpler fs, much
like tar, but with huge blocks and this special feature...

> BTW, I know they were running OS/9 or something like that which seems to be
> some kind of UNIX-like OS... Can someone provide details on it just for the
> fun ?
> (there might be some kind of Ingo's patch for Fairlight OS that must have
> been
> devised back in the eighties ;-)

QNX is another example of an OS used for that kind of stuff. They're dedicated
real time operating systems from the ground up, and don't need patches to get
that kind of performance.

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer