Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway
From: Florian Weimer (fw_AT_deneb.cygnus.argh.org)
Date: su loka   10 1999 - 02:12:16 EDT

thudson_AT_cygnus.com writes:

> There was an interesting file manager on the SGI that had a slider that
> allowed one to zoom in and out of the view. I think the now defunct
> Fresco allowed similar transformations of widgets.

Yep.

> They widgets were still active and usable in their shrunken
> state. There was an example of a scaled and rotated copy of a
> drawing program pasted in another copy of itself. The pasted copy
> was still fully functional.

Although this was very nice, the basic concept of Fresco (everything
is built of flyweight objects to which any affine transformation can
be applied) resulted in rather slow GUI operation---even on today's
machines, scrolling seems to be somewhat sluggish, perhaps because
most optimizations normally used to speed up common operations don't
fit into this scheme.

BTW, the Berlin Project is employing some Fresco ideas, and InterViews
3.x (which featured the first implementation of the flyweight pattern
for GUIs, AFAIK) is still maintained (or some kind of successor to it).
InterViews is a lot faster than Fresco (it doesn't do the CORBA stuff,
the flywights are really extremly lightweight), but it is said to flood
the X server with pixmaps. :-/