Re: [linux-audio-dev] linux audio apps/authors behind open-plugin-whatever

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] linux audio apps/authors behind open-plugin-whatever
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: su loka   10 1999 - 13:29:30 EDT

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Oct 1999 est_AT_hyperreal.org wrote:
>
> > I suspect progress in this area will be made as people make resonably
> > concrete and complete proposals that are explcitly GLPLed (or at least
> > GPLed) so that others can improve them freely. The devil's in the
> > details *and* their interaction in the whole.
>
> But as we're talking about a plugin system, making changes afterwards
> will be difficult. This is why I think it's important to get other
> linux-audio projects involved.

Yes, we might have a serious design flaw creeping around, that we
won't find until it becomes obvious that some project can't adopt the
API. My wanting to support other uses than real time audio doesn't
make it easier to keep everything under control...

Still, I think getting some kind of alpha spec together and hacking
some prototype implementations ASAP is a *very* good idea, as that's
an efficient way of finding logical errors and practical
implementation problems. Releasing an official API before having a
working prototype implementation would be a serious mistake. This
project is too complex for that.

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer