Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: su loka   10 1999 - 13:37:55 EDT

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> Keyboard isn't a very good (realtime) controller.

Naah... Works for Doom! ;-)

> >>- why concentrate on inputs?
> > not sure what you mean by this ? can you explain ?
>
> Well, for instance in ecasound, I chose to concentrate all processing
> around chains. All chain operators (=effects), controllers, etc are
> connected to chains. Inputs and outputs are separate objects.
> For simplicity (=performance), a chain can only have one input and
> output, although one input/output can be connected to many chains.
>
> I'm still developing the concept, but it's already quite usable.
> I don't need to use inserts, effect buses or any other "extra"
> concepts. When doing effect processing: "1 input -> n chains -> 1
> output", mixing: "n inputs -> n chains -> 1 output", multitrack
> recording: "n monitor-inputs -> n chains -> 1 monitor-output,
> m recording-inputs -> m chains -> record-output", etc.

I like that. No legacy design cruft. :-)

But I have yet to see a sensible GUI representation of it... Modular
synth style GUIs get messy too quickly, and a Bars'n'pipes "routing
matrix" would become huge... Some combination?

All icons:
.---. .-------------------. .----.
|IN1|-->| P1 | P2 | P3 | P4 |-->|OUT1|
`---' `-------------------' `----'
                                  ^
.---. .---------. |
|IN2|-->| P5 | P6 |---------------'
`---' `---------'

P2 and P3 popped up:
.---. .---------------------------------. .----.
|IN1|-->| P1 | P2 | P3 | P4 |-->|OUT1|
`---' `----| | | | | | ----L------ |----' `----'
             | | O | O | -------H--- | ^
             | O | | | | --Q-- ---G- | |
             | | | O | | | |
             `---------| X BPF O NTCH| |
                       | O LPF O PEAK| |
                       `-------------' |
.---. .---------. |
|IN2|-->| P5 | P6 |-----------------------------'

Point: No loose panels (or windows! *grr*) to move around...

Well, enough ASCII gfx for now... :-)

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer