Re: [linux-audio-dev] sndlib remarks

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] sndlib remarks
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ma loka   11 1999 - 13:21:20 EDT

i just want to follow up on my comments about sndlib, which sounded
somewhat depracating.

sndlib is great! sndlib's author realized that the difference between
file formats can be split in two: the header type, and the data
type. instead of having a bunch of code to handle RIFF files, and
another to handle AIFF, Bill wrote stuff to read RIFF headers and AIFF
headers, and then "added" stuff to read little endian 16 bit samples
and big endian 16 bit samples, for example. thus, an AIFF file with
the data stored a LE16 samples can be handled easily, as can an AIFF
file with float32 samples, etc. This is easy because the header and
data formats have been separated from one another.

this is an excellent design - as far as I understand it, neither the
SGI or Michael Pruett implementations of libaudiofile do this, and I
don't know of any other similar libraries that take this approach
either. i use sndlib a lot, though often via my C++-ified version
which uses templates to optimize data conversion.

--p