Re: [linux-audio-dev] aRts, KDE - say it ain't so!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] aRts, KDE - say it ain't so!
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ma loka   11 1999 - 13:16:05 EDT

> abilities are leagues ahead of anything yet found on Unix. It will
> offer capabilities to KDE that have so far been found only on OSes
> like Windows, BeOS, etc.

yes, aRts is great but .... sigh - "offer capabilities to KDE"

Windows, for all its faults, is an OS. BeOS is an OS. KDE is not an
OS! what is anyone doing "offering capabilities" to the bloody desktop
architecture. this is *insane*.

the work that Stefan has done on aRts is wonderful, but this idea of
there being a desktop, rather than an OS, that offers these
capabilities is a dangerous path, and it fractures our community. I am
not going to run KDE or GNOME for the foreseeable future, and anyone
who thinks that the way forward is to build functions into either of
these systems that are not part of the kernel or a standalone program
is not my friend.

--p