Re: [linux-audio-dev] aRts, KDE - say it ain't so!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] aRts, KDE - say it ain't so!
From: Bill Gribble (grib_AT_cs.utexas.edu)
Date: ma loka   11 1999 - 13:54:29 EDT

Paul Barton-Davis <pbd_AT_Op.Net> writes:
> the work that Stefan has done on aRts is wonderful, but this idea of
> there being a desktop, rather than an OS, that offers these
> capabilities is a dangerous path, and it fractures our community. I am
> not going to run KDE or GNOME for the foreseeable future, and anyone
> who thinks that the way forward is to build functions into either of
> these systems that are not part of the kernel or a standalone program
> is not my friend.

GNOME isn't a desktop at all, and your hatred/fear of it is
reactionary (I know you mentioned KDE too but I've never used it so I
can't stick up for it). It's a set of tools allowing applications to
communicate with each other, that's all.

I think it's a phenomenally useful evolution of the Unix graphical
environment to have a framework like GNOME for interapplication
communication. It works, it's getting better all the time, and it
*doesn't* tie one to a specific desktop. "Fragmenting the community"
is a natural consequence of a distributed development model. It's not
necessarily a bad thing, especially when it promotes cross-pollination
of ideas between different groups. Having a handful of incompatible
solutions to the same problem just isn't a big deal if it leads to a
better overall solution.

GNOME is a good thing, in my book.

Bill Gribble