[linux-audio-dev] Re: "albods"

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: "albods"
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: ma loka   11 1999 - 14:27:34 EDT

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> >There was talk of supporting this on linux-fsdevel. They were going to
> >make it so you can read() and write() a directory, like a normal file.
> >Ted T'so called them "albods", from memory.
> >I don't know what came of this.
>
> over on linux-kernel, many people hate albods. the hate was so
> profound that my reading of the debate was that they would die before
> even being born.

1. I'm sure there's a neat story behind such an unusual name as "albod".
Is it the name of the guy who invented them?

2. Why would the use of albods be a kernel issue? The whole point is
that they're normal directories. You just name them differently so that
file managers and other MIME mappers can recognise them. Or are we
talking about different things?

Div.