Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI routing, FIFO's etc.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI routing, FIFO's etc.
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: ma loka   11 1999 - 21:34:07 EDT

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> (snip: patch dumps via sysex)
>
> given that h/w implementations of MIDI are rate limited, it normally
> makes no sense to use it as a communication channel for large amounts
> of data *when a massively faster alternative is available*, the MIDI
> SDS not withstanding :)

Oops, I was a little unclear. I was trying to refer to the app-to-driver
interface, not the driver-to-card one. Of course the driver should speak
to the card in an optimized manner. However, when the driver is talking
to an app, it's certainly not limited to the 3.2 kbaud (did I remember
that right?) MIDI cable transfer rate. Remember that the data in question
never does go out over the wire.

True, you get an automatic 1/8 performance hit (sysex only gives you
seven bits), but it's nowhere's near as ugly a picture as you painted.

The motivation for this, of course, is that driver-specific ioctls can't
be rerouted over pipes and sockets anywhere near as easily as inband data.
By now, I certainly don't need to reiterate why I'm interested in that.
:-)

Div.