Re: [linux-audio-dev] linux audio apps/authors behind open-plugin-whatever

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] linux audio apps/authors behind open-plugin-whatever
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ma loka   11 1999 - 18:19:07 EDT

On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
[...]
> One thing I've noticed about myself is that I'm more of a top-down
> designer. When you talk about the low-level details, it's been
> hard for me to see where do these things fit in the big picture.

I think that's been a problem for us as well at times... :-D

> I usually design my software starting from top-level concepts.

I have been thinking about, and drafting designs for systems of this
kind for years. Although things like crappy OS's and hardware
restrictions have limited my motivation of coding something useful,
the big picture of the system is pretty clear in my mind by now.
(Especially the last few weeks have been incredibly productive in
that perspective!)

When I start describing some low level details, I sometimes start on
a too low level, and there we go again; "Now, how is *THAT* supposed
to work!?" :-) OTOH, these - at times somewhat chaotic - discussions
have given me a lot of inspiration, and resulted in some new, cool
ideas. I think it's time I start to turn my part of the design into a
structured document, and some more code.

> Anyway, I've had a _lot_ of fun reading linux-audio-dev recently
> and that's always a good sign! :)

Well, IMO, this is one of the most interesting places on the net
right now!

If I had been working alone on my own project, I would have had
*ages* of solving boring (it *is* boring to design alone, when the
tempo is limited by your own lack of inspiration) little problems
ahead.

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer