Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] a new application underway
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang.uni-essen.de)
Date: ti loka   12 1999 - 18:47:45 EDT

[mono or stereo]

> On Mon, 11 Oct 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> > i think it depends in part on what your inputs are. if they really are
> > stereo signals (stereo soundfiles, devices etc.), then having audio
> > default to stereo is a good choice.

from my mixing experience i'd prefer to have all plugins, mixer
strips etc. default to mono.
one source, one stream.
two mono channels can easily be grouped should the need arise, but a
stereo pair is hard to separate.
moreover, with surround systems coming along, stereo is no longer
the end-user standard. it would be equally justified to have all 5.1
channels, which appears a little awkward.

btw, not every stereo signal does actually carry spatial
information. all the intensity stereo can be reduced to one channel
plus pan position [iirc, michael jackson engineer bruce swedien
calls this "two channel mono" :]
only phasing stereo deserves two channels. (hope i made myself
clear, not sure about the correct terms in english)

i feel grouping should be done on a gui level, that is, make them
look like a group if the users so desires, but handle them
independently underneath.

[not really api relevant:
a feature to link controls for stereo pairs would be nice: have each
eq, aux etc. affect both channels simultaneously unless you need
individual treatment, at which point the link must be broken and an
additional channel strip should appear.
]

regards,

jörn