Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI routing, FIFO's etc.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI routing, FIFO's etc.
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ke loka   13 1999 - 19:31:24 EDT

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, David Slomin wrote:
> Just make sure that it remains accessible
> was a simple, unidirectional, non-handshaking, realtime stream with all
> operations inband, and I'll be happy.

That's a bit outside the scope of the MCS event system, I'm afraid...
It's not a serial line communication protocol. Even though we're
dealing with a highly optimized design with inline code to handle
dynamic memory allocation and that kind of stuff, we're still worried
about performance. It's not MIDI on steroids. It's custom shared
memory IPC turned into a flexible real time communication system,
hopefully without losing too much performance.

You can't have it all. But there is always the possibility of making
a network/serial/parallel link protocol a part of the official MCS
spec... It has to be designed and implemented anyway.

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer