Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI routing, FIFO's etc.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI routing, FIFO's etc.
From: David Slomin (dgslomin_AT_CS.Princeton.EDU)
Date: ke loka   13 1999 - 18:42:39 EDT

On Tue, 12 Oct 1999, David Olofson wrote:

> <mode nitpick=on>
> 31250 Hz bit rate. And then you have a start bit and a stop bit as
> well, so it's even below 31.25k! ;-)
> </mode>

Dang, off by an order of magnitude. I'm not old enough to be senile...

> Hmm... Who reorganizes the data bits then? Twice, for that matter!
> That's the *really* uggly part of SysEx programming...

Well, if your source and target both expect seven bit data, then a seven
bit transport is just fine. Still, I never heard of a card that filled
its patch memory in seven bit "bytes", so you're right.

You've convinced me, I guess. An eight-bit, generalized event protocol
would be a very good thing to have. You lose many of the advantages that
MIDI gives you in terms of standardization, but the potential flexibility
may make it worthwhile anyway. Just make sure that it remains accessible
was a simple, unidirectional, non-handshaking, realtime stream with all
operations inband, and I'll be happy.

Div.