Re: [linux-audio-dev] multiple files/single files for HDR: my verdict

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] multiple files/single files for HDR: my verdict
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: pe loka   15 1999 - 17:49:47 EDT

Juhana writes:

>>remember: this is meant to be the equivalent of an ADAT and a mixing
>>console. its not meant to be anything like any of the myriad of
>
>Ok. But I think using lseek() is a kludge because the file systems
>"editlist" just is not equivalent to audio editlist.

i know that. but why is it a kludge ? i wouldn't dream of using holes
for a soundfile editor. but this isn't the same thing at all. what
strikes you as ugly about it ? would you rather end up with files that
can only read by a particular program because they come with an
editlist instead of being a linear stream of data when accessed via
read(2) ? in an editor that seems OK, but in a program designed to
bring live sound into the computer efficiently, easily and
controllably, it seems to me that you particularly do *not* want to
use an editlist.