Re: [linux-audio-dev] using ext2fs "holes" in files

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] using ext2fs "holes" in files
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: ma loka   18 1999 - 18:23:34 EDT

>From: Paul Barton-Davis <pbd_AT_Op.Net>
>
>>*You do want* use some kludge mixtura of files and possible editlist
>>(which about -- as used with your kludge -- I have not seen anything here).
>
>Juhana, i don't know about you, but as a programmer, i take the phrase
>"your kludge" rather personally. i don't know if its how you meant it,
>but it comes across to me as a very negative and rather personal
>statement.

I'm terribly sorry! I just meant "your suggestion" rather than anything
negative.

I admit that claiming me not interested in using editlist, got me tensed
but that is another story.

>my program doesn't do anything that makes sense for editlist use. if i
>gave you the impression that i planned to use an editlist as well,
>then i gave you the wrong impression, somehow.

Ok, somehow. :-)
All right, your application seems to spend very much disk space:
all loops and other repetitions take new disk space every time when they
appear in the mix, and if you run an effect on a track, it fills the holes.
All editing and processing is destructive unless we bounce the result to
another track.

Perhaps that is the purpose of your program but it wastes too much disk
space.

>No! Please read the man page for lseek(2). When *any* program reads a
>file with holes, it reads zeroes for as many bytes as the hole is

I didn't mean that. Only the cases such as backupping to cdrom (it fills
the holes) or an application converting the file to some other format.

 -*-

Well, I think editlist-only is the way to go. Recording etc. happens
always to a new file. Or if we want destructive operations, new files
are created only at head and tail of an old file which is overwritten.
And so on...

We would have a full control over what is on the disk, on backup cdroms,
what other applications should read, etc.

I don't want argue on this and thus at least I move to think how such HDR
application would function.

Yours,

Juhana