Re: [linux-audio-dev] using ext2fs "holes" in files

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] using ext2fs "holes" in files
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ma loka   18 1999 - 22:40:34 EDT

>All right, your application seems to spend very much disk space:
>all loops and other repetitions take new disk space every time when they
>appear in the mix, and if you run an effect on a track, it fills the holes.
>All editing and processing is destructive unless we bounce the result to
>another track.

there is no editing, and no processing. its a *live* multitrack
HDR. although it can handle other soundfiles and its own "tape" format
as input sources, its not intended to be used for soundfile editing.

>I didn't mean that. Only the cases such as backupping to cdrom (it fills
>the holes) or an application converting the file to some other format.

ah, OK, understood. yes, under those circumstances, you will end up
with the full block allocation that the file "size" would suggest. for
the way i work, this doesn't bother me. i also see it as the
responsibility of a "soundfile-aware" application that can support its
own editlist-based format to look for extended periods of silence in a
channel, and convert them into editlist equivalents. but you don't
*start* from such a format, since it requires every other program to
understand *your* editlist system.

>I don't want argue on this and thus at least I move to think how such HDR
>application would function.

i don't like thinking too much without coding. so i did, and its
pretty functional and pretty useful. i hope to release a copy over the
coming weekend.

the important thing for me is that my program is *not* aimed at the
kind of HDR that any program with an editlist would do. its intended
to be the equivalent of, say, a hand-held portable ADAT recorder, or
better yet, one of those small digital recording consoles that people
like Yamaha make. i *need* a program like this, and i consider it a
quite different kind of program. just as you wouldn't use an ADAT
machine with a mixing console to do non-destructive, non-linear
editing, you wouldn't use this program for that either. on the other
hand, if you've got 12 channels of input, 5 of them live and 7 of them
pre-recorded, and you want a recording of the overall "take", for
later editing with <insert-editlist-based-soundfile-editor-here>, then
my "hdr" program is possibly exactly what you want.

--p