Re: [linux-audio-dev] back to the API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] back to the API
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ma loka   25 1999 - 00:42:02 EDT

one tiny comment, while i'm clearing out some old mail:

>> they send events that say:
>>
>> "XXX has changed by +4"
>> "YYY has changed, new value is 13.4554"
>> "ZZZ has been incremented"
>>
>> in each case, XXX, YYY or ZZZ is the target_id of the change, which is
>> assigned by the engine when the plugin declares its "parameters", and
>> is looked up by the plugin during event processing to decide if it
>> really cares.
>
>Well, I believe plug-in code should be as simple as possible, so I
>don't see why alternative ways of changing parameters makes sense...

the alternatives allow the event source to not have to know the
current value of the object being changed. this allows more
flexibility in possible representations to the user, and also avoids
an attempt to cache values when it can be avoided.

having a button that says "XXX has changed by +0.5" is a much better
design than a UI that is *forced* to know the current value of XXX in
order to send the event. OTOH, when a button selects a known value,
having to know the old value is also pretty silly.

Of course, if it wants to display the value of XXX, it has to know it,
but its easy to imagine UI elements that don't need to work like
this. why force them to ?

--p