Re: mmap()/mlockall()/read()

Subject: Re: mmap()/mlockall()/read()
From: est_AT_hyperreal.org
Date: ke loka   27 1999 - 17:15:21 EDT

Benno Senoner discourseth:

> I think the best fallback solution is the following (but not 100% reliable
> in the case of syscalls):
> mlock(MCL_CURRENT);
> mlock() malloec()ed aread

Hmm, I remain sceptical that I'll see large apps using this. Using
other-people's-libraries is common after all. It would mean a lot of
work that doesn't seem worth the benefit to me. However, it would be
pleasant if people proved me wrong. :)

> but strange,
> MAP_UNLOCKED seems to not exist on my 2.2.12 kernel !!

It doesn't exist..I made it up! :)

I think it would be A Good Idea, and it looks easy to add.

> > Eric is hard to satisfy. :)
>
> You are not the only !
> :-)

Thence comes progress.