Re: 4D-NXs (was Re: Sync Issues)

Subject: Re: 4D-NXs (was Re: Sync Issues)
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: ke loka   27 1999 - 18:53:59 EDT

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> Instead, its a combination of:
>
> * "some other people wrote a Linux driver for our board and it sucked"
> * "we don't have enough programmers to do that"
> * "we don't have any written documentation to give you guys -
> we wrote the driver by having the software group sit in with
> the hardware group"
> * "we think our hardware's proprietary secrets will be revealed
> if there is a source code driver"
> * "Linux ? Is that like Cakewalk ?"

Another one:

        * "Can you give an estimate of how many Linux users would
           be interested in buying our card, if there was a driver?"

That's a tough one... How many users do you get without real cards?
And how many real cards and applications do you get without lots of
users...?

Well, it's our own "fault"; this is a Free/Open Source world, and
*we* have to get things moving if anything is to happen. Therefore,
an API that makes it easier for us to reuse code, and for users to
integrate existing applications into working solutions, will probably
help a lot.

Would IBM, Corel, SyBase and co have cared about Linux if it wasn't
already a big player in the server field? Probably not... They've
been hurt by MS and other concurents too many times to jump into
something like Linux, before they see that it actually works in real
life.

I'm afraid we have to get Linux boxes into studios. Before that
happens, performance superior by orders of magnitude to that of
Windows and MacOS, is little but exciting news for the techies.

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer