Re: HZ > 100 overhead

Subject: Re: HZ > 100 overhead
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ke loka   27 1999 - 20:49:32 EDT

>In our upcoming multimedia API we will run the audio daemon
>not only for providing PCM/MIDI services but precise timers too.

i hate to go on about this, but MIDI only programs shouldn't need to
depend on audio services to work. i might even want to run a MIDI
interface on a machine with no audio card at all - its hard to find an
argument to be using an audio daemon under such circumstances.

thats why i like eric's suggestion for an rtcd that can be used by
programs that want precise-ish timing *but have no option to do
audio-based timing* because they don't deal with audio. any program
that does its own audio output or input in small fragments has its own
built-in source of precise timing, but not every interesting program
works that way.

--p