Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux audio questions...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux audio questions...
From: jiva_AT_mindless.com
Date: pe loka   29 1999 - 02:07:00 EDT

> > - most music will probably be coded
> >in csound.
>
> fairly restrictive :)

Yes, that's true. Actually, I understand there are other languages such
as cmix and common music, I just haven't found as extensive reference
for creation of music using these languages. Also, Arts, SLab, AUBE,
gAlan and so on look extremely promising and being as they run under
Linux I'm sure I'll work with them. Originally I was thinking of working
with csound exclusively this seems a bit restrictive as you've observed.
Also, I'm wondering perhaps if Stomper, Orangator and other freeware
soft synths I have experience with run under WINE.

> > What I am particularly curious about is the use of csound in
> >realtime when driven by a sequencer, I'm hoping to use KeyKit. Is this
> >possible or has it been known to work?
>
> it can be done (i've done it), but i would not call it particularly
> nice. csound isn't really all that fast, and its handling of real-time
> MIDI is not its greatest asset. But it can be made to work, either
> using a special kind of file called a FIFO to act as the MIDI output
> for KeyKit and the input for csound, or using the default sound driver
> set's "virtual MIDI port".
>
> if you want csound to do complex stuff, you'd better plan on doing
> quite a bit of non-real-time synthesis.

What I'm planning on doing is completing long passages of fairly simple
ambience - say two and a half minutes of arpeggios in 7/8 with a couple
of very slow lfos and envelopes creating modulation sweeps - printing
the audio files, adding fx later and then ultimately merging them in a
program such as SLab. I don't want to send it so much information it
patches out. That's the idea right now I suppose...

> > I'm also wondering how csound
> >functions as a virtual sampler.
>
> not particularly interesting because its so low level, though its
> definitely possible to make it do anything you might want. it just can
> take a lot of effort to get it all right. also, fancier things like
> pitch shifting, although they exist, use not particularly good,
> somewhat dated algorithms.

I'm just trying to find out how to trigger samples from a sequencer in
realtime or at least edit in realtime - particularly breakbeats ala
squarepusher, plug, afx. I'd like to be able to find an editing
environment that can read MIDI generated from KeyKit even if not in
realtime. It seems perhaps dropping MIDI files to a tracker would work
for this, but SoundTracker and VoodooTracker don't seem to support MIDI
input at this time. I'm not sure about KegTracker.

> but you're wrong about it being the only possible card. if the DAT
> recorder has an S/PDIF port, you can spend $39 on a Hoontech SoundWave
> NX, use the patches just posted to the ALSA development mailing list,
> and do digital I/O with that card's S/PDIF port. Otherwise, spend a
> little bit on a S/PDIF-to-T/DIF converter (i think T/DIF is a pretty
> common standard for DAT recorders) and still use a cheap card. If the
> recorder just has an ADAT port then ... I'm not sure.

how's the conversion on these cards? is there a significant difference
between the quality of conversion when compared to a more expensive
card?

> it seems fairly unlikely that the STUDI/O will ever have (1) open
> source drivers, which will likely be a problem from time to time as
> the kernel driver interface changes and (2) may never have
> particularly good drivers. Why ? (a) 4Front Technologies (the driver
> writers) focus on consumer cards (b) the switch to ALSA as the
> standard Linux kernel sound drivers (c) the possible emergence of
> the RME Hammerfall as the serious option for people who want to do pro
> audio under Linux.

Thanks for the advice.

> >I'm very curious also if anyone has completed any commercially released
> >CDs using Linux as the sole platform for composing and recording.
>
> No, but I am about to set up a digital corner in pro-studio that will
> (soon or immediately) only run Linux. We'll have an RME Hammerfall as
> the main I/O point (fed by 2 Apogee D8000 A-D converters).
>
> --p

I'll be sure to look into the Hammerfall, I'm not in need of a sound
card immediately and want to be sure to support companies that have the
proper priorities when relating to the open source community.

I very much appreciate the manner in which you've addressed my questions
- I think this is precisely why I'm drawn to Linux. Basically I started
sequencing around 1989 when I was still using a C64. Now I have friends
asking me for tech support with MIDI on Macs and PCs... coupled with the
realization that I've been using the same method of outboard synths,
samplers + cakewalk for over six years I've realized its time for a
change. Also, I've been wanting to work entirely digital and soft synths
accomplish that. I've always worked non-realtime to a certain degree,
and the idea of using soft synths, trackers and algorhythms to create
contemporary electronica on Linux is very appealing. Of course I know
technically I'm not quite up to the task yet, but I feel confident it
will be a positive experience and I can share with the community as I
think electronic music should be open source in much the way Linux is.

Next stop... local Linux users group.

Thanks again, I'm planning on keeping a diary of my experiences with
Linux and Linux sound apps during the course of this project. I may end
up with two Linux boxes - one for sequencing and the other for soft
synths and digital audio.

Ian
www.mp3.com/iread