Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: rtcd vs hz > 100!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: rtcd vs hz > 100!
From: Steve Ratcliffe (steve_AT_parabola.demon.co.uk)
Date: pe loka   29 1999 - 06:43:03 EDT

On Thu, Oct 28, 1999 at 10:41:38PM -0400, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> i agree. much cleaner. the naming of /dev/snd/timer is the only hint
> of audio-relatedness, and i think that *we* can certainly live with
> that.

Well yes, in the grand scheme of things it might be nice if the kernel
RTC /dev/rtc driver was capable of being opened multiple times and that
it was possible for ALSA and other projects that may want to use it to
be able to access it via some interface from within the kernel.

> though let me check: after the module opens the RTC, the RTC
> is no longer usable directly by any other module or application, right?

Yes.

> does the module have its own RTC driver, or does it use the existing
> one via the cross-driver "open/close/read/write" call interface ?

Oh its just a hack. It takes bits of the existing /dev/rtc driver and
gives it a dynamically loadable ALSA timer interface. So you can't
even have the kernel RTC driver compiled in (and unfortunately it is
not dynamically loadable).

..Steve