Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux audio questions...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux audio questions...
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: pe loka   29 1999 - 09:41:11 EDT

>I'm just trying to find out how to trigger samples from a sequencer in
>realtime or at least edit in realtime - particularly breakbeats ala
>squarepusher, plug, afx. I'd like to be able to find an editing
>environment that can read MIDI generated from KeyKit even if not in
>realtime.

well, as i said, Csound can definitely do this, but its work.

>> ... recorder has an S/PDIF port, you can spend $39 on a Hoontech SoundWave
>> NX ...

>how's the conversion on these cards? is there a significant difference
>between the quality of conversion when compared to a more expensive
>card?

i don't know the precise details on the A-D/D-A converters in the
trident chipset used by this board. it probably isn't as good as the
STUDI/O, especially the A-D. for me, i'd rather wait for a card that
will have the right kind of support under Linux, and the STUDI/O seems
unlikely to be it. also, note that if sound quality really concerns
you, and the A-D direction is important (sounds like it is), you'd be
much better off with an outboard A-D converter. Doing this conversion
anywhere in the vicinity of the computer motherboard is asking for
noise.

>Thanks again, I'm planning on keeping a diary of my experiences with
>Linux and Linux sound apps during the course of this project. I may end
>up with two Linux boxes - one for sequencing and the other for soft
>synths and digital audio.

if by sequencing, you just mean MIDI sequencing: be sure to use a
cheap, old, 2nd hand box for the sequencing one. i have a 100MHz
486-DX that sits (mostly idle) next to my main rack (which holds a
dual PII-450 as my "main" computer). the 486 is *more than adequate*
for any Linux MIDI sequencing task you can imagine. It has 32MB of
RAM. you could pick up such a machine for, oh, $100? (i paid more
because i wanted SCSI). you could compile the kernel to use a 1000HZ
timer to make things even more precise than they would be otherwise.
Linux will run just fine (better than that, even) on such a box.

--p