Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux audio questions...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux audio questions...
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp_AT_ulster.net)
Date: pe loka   29 1999 - 12:40:30 EDT

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> jiva wrote:
> >I'm just trying to find out how to trigger samples from a sequencer in
> >realtime or at least edit in realtime - particularly breakbeats ala
> >squarepusher, plug, afx. I'd like to be able to find an editing
> >environment that can read MIDI generated from KeyKit even if not in
> >realtime.
>
> well, as i said, Csound can definitely do this, but its work.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "edit in realtime", but here's
a csound orc & sco for a pretty stupid sample player with pitch lfo:
(Disclaimer: this worked last time I used it :))

;;; here's the orc

  sr = 44100
  kr = 2205
  ksmps = 20
  nchnls = 1

instr 1

  kmod pchbend 2 ; pitch wheel controls lfo speed
  kmod = 1/kmod
  inum notnum ; get note number
  ifreq cpsmidi ; get current note & convert to cps.
  iamp = 1000 ;
  xtratim 3 ; extend duration after key release
  klfo init 1
  krel init 0
  krel release ; is key off yet?
  if (krel > .5 ) kgoto rel ; yes, it's off. otherwise fall through
to...
  ;;; ENVELOPES
        ; attack/sustain section
    kenv1 expseg 0.001, 2, 1, 50, 1
    kamp = kenv1 * iamp
        ; make the LFO
    klfo oscil 1, kmod, 2 ; oscillate pitch by 10 %
                                       ; use f2 for lfo
    kgoto done
      ; release section
  rel:
    kenv2 linseg 1, 2.6, 1, .4, 0
    kamp = kenv2*kenv1*iamp
    klfo expseg 1, 2.8, .7, .2, .2
  done:
    aout oscili kamp, ifreq * klfo, 1 ; use f1 for audio table
  out aout
endin

;;;; here's the score

f0 400 ; run for 400 seconds

f1 0 131072 1 "siren4.aiff" 0 0 0 ; this is your audio file
f2 0 1024 -7 1 212 1 300 .8 212 1 300 1 ; non-normalized lfo

> >Thanks again, I'm planning on keeping a diary of my experiences with
> >Linux and Linux sound apps during the course of this project. I may end
> >up with two Linux boxes - one for sequencing and the other for soft
> >synths and digital audio.

People tell me this is a good idea. I haven't yet got around to
doing this.

> if by sequencing, you just mean MIDI sequencing: be sure to use a
> cheap, old, 2nd hand box for the sequencing one. i have a 100MHz
> 486-DX that sits (mostly idle) next to my main rack (which holds a
> dual PII-450 as my "main" computer). the 486 is *more than adequate*
> for any Linux MIDI sequencing task you can imagine. It has 32MB of
> RAM. you could pick up such a machine for, oh, $100? (i paid more
> because i wanted SCSI). you could compile the kernel to use a 1000HZ
> timer to make things even more precise than they would be otherwise.
> Linux will run just fine (better than that, even) on such a box.

Also cool: You don't even really need a separate monitor for the
midi box. You could set it up as a "headless box" which you
interface entirely from your main system. Run console or X apps on
the 486 and see them displayed on your audio system's screen, and
save the cost, electrical usage, and desktop space of a separate
monitor. Granted I have never actually _done_ this, I've just heard
about it.

slinkP arts: music, sound, illustration, design, etc.
email=========================slinkp AT ulster DOT net
ARMS online=======================http://reacharms.com
personal page===========http://www.ulster.net/~abigoo/