Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux audio questions...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux audio questions...
From: est_AT_hyperreal.org
Date: pe loka   29 1999 - 11:58:44 EDT

Paul Barton-Davis discourseth:

> >I may end
> >up with two Linux boxes - one for sequencing and the other for soft
> >synths and digital audio.
>
> if by sequencing, you just mean MIDI sequencing: be sure to use a
> cheap, old, 2nd hand box for the sequencing one. i have a 100MHz
> 486-DX that sits (mostly idle) next to my main rack (which holds a
> dual PII-450 as my "main" computer). the 486 is *more than adequate*
> for any Linux MIDI sequencing task you can imagine.

Hmm..doesn't it depend on the sequencer(s)? How much of that
processor does softwerk use. I expect the next-generation of softwerk
will use more. What if a sequencer were written in Python? "Software
is a gas." :)

> It has 32MB of
> RAM. you could pick up such a machine for, oh, $100? (i paid more
> because i wanted SCSI).

SCSI may be important in this case. Those old ide chipsets/drives can
cause latency problems.

I'd actually like some cheapo machines myself. I always worry about
how I'll find replacement parts for them. It can be pretty difficult
to find new cpus below a certain clock-rate, for example. Does one
just use used replacement parts? I've got a nice second hand computer
shop near me, but do you know of any good ones online?

Eric