Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux audio questions...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux audio questions...
From: David Olofson (audiality_AT_swipnet.se)
Date: pe loka   29 1999 - 20:19:54 EDT

On Fri, 29 Oct 1999, Paul Winkler wrote:
> Also cool: You don't even really need a separate monitor for the
> midi box. You could set it up as a "headless box" which you
> interface entirely from your main system. Run console or X apps on
> the 486 and see them displayed on your audio system's screen, and
> save the cost, electrical usage, and desktop space of a separate
> monitor. Granted I have never actually _done_ this, I've just heard
> about it.

Well, I played XGalaga across our sloppy 10 Mbit network at work, and
there was no noticeable performance degradation; the pixmaps are
uploaded to the X server, and the latency of further operations was
certainly not a problem. However, I haven't seriously been using
applications that way for extended periods, so I can't say how well
it works with Qt, GTK+ (toolkits run on the application side - not
with the X server!), various applications and so on...

//David

 ·A·U·D·I·A·L·I·T·Y· P r o f e s s i o n a l L i n u x A u d i o
    ·Rock Solid David Olofson:
    ·Low Latency www.angelfire.com/or/audiality ·Audio Hacker
    ·Plug-Ins audiality_AT_swipnet.se ·Linux Advocate
    ·Open Source ·Singer/Composer