[linux-audio-dev] audio-friendly boxes

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] audio-friendly boxes
From: est_AT_hyperreal.org
Date: la loka   30 1999 - 17:09:15 EDT

jiva discourseth:

> ok, the sequencer is keykit and it will be running on an amd k6-200 with
> 40MB of ram, so I don't think clock speed is going to be an issue...
> what will be an issue is what network card, video card and IDE HD to
> use. I'd like to use SCSI, but I don't want to spend too much on a box
> just for sequencing. At this point, these questions are probably best
> addressed to another list, you know, [linux-box-newbie].
[...]
> Still, I would think
> with the box, the OS and that I'm going to go for... oh, btw - best
> cheap MIDI soundcard? - video card, tuned drive (I still don't know what
> this means)... it should be ample.

Low-latency adds some extra requirements. You definitely want an
IDE-chipset with supported DMA (and an EIDE drive that does DMA) or
SCSI (I got a new TekRam DC390F card this year for $90). As for video
cards, I've had good luck with an ATI RageII+DVD. Among soundcards,
the Creative PCI128 is popular and pbd love's the Hoontech
card..probably best to get both. (they're cheap :)

Eric