Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux audio questions...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux audio questions...
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: la loka   30 1999 - 19:22:19 EDT

  [ ... bizarre Csound logic example elided for sanity's sake ... ]

> I really, really wish csound supported something more like if /
>elif / else, with block delimiters of some sort, so you could make
>structures like this more readable. Do you have any plans to put
>something like that in Quasimodo?

more than plans. there is already a stealth source code module in the
form of an 80% complete bison grammer for a "C style" audio
programming language that uses the csound opcodes. i definitely have
plans to finish this at some point.

it will have variables typed by declarations, not "first letter of
name", C-style flow control (including while(){}), named instruments,
named function tables. also all opcodes will be invoked as C-style
function calls, instead of the current nonsensical mixture of
"converters" which look like function calls, and "opcode" calls which
look like assembler. the underlying implementation of both things is
identical in Csound (and in Quasimodo), and so the "user interface"
for programming with them should be consistent.

       aout = soundin (... , cpsmidi (), ...);

not
       aout soundin ..., cpsmidi(), ...

i have good reason to believe that it will not be particularly hard to
make this fully functional.

--p