[linux-audio-dev] SBlive GPL drivers !

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] SBlive GPL drivers !
From: Alessandro Fogar (mar095k1_AT_ud.nettuno.it)
Date: su loka   31 1999 - 05:38:30 EST

>From the Creative Linux Newsgroup:

OK, I guess the cat is out of the bag now. Like the article says,
Creative is opening the sources to the existing SBLive (Emu10K1,
technically) Linux kernel driver. The current sourcebase is what would
have been release as beta4 of the driver, with 4-speaker support (stereo
mirroring only at present) and SPDIF output being the main changes from
beta3. Also being released are beta sources for a DXR2 driver which
were donated to Creative by Andrew de Quincey (thanks, Andrew!). The
source for both projects will be released under the GPL. We are
planning to submit kernel patches as soon as possible, after the
open-source development community has had a chance to beat on the driver
sources for a bit and whip them into shape.

Also as the article mentioned, Creative is going to launch an
open-source development support site with FAQs, CVS repositiories,
CVSWeb tracking, Bugzilla, mailing lists, and all the other standard
open source project website services. The site will be up and running
sometime early next week - PLEASE do not overload
developer.soundblaster.com with repeated checks to see if the site is up
yet, OK? We'll announce loud and clear when the server goes live.

So, that's where things stand as of Friday evening. All of us here at
Creative are really excited about this, and we have all worked hard to
get to this point. Huge numbers of people have been asking for the
source since we announced the driver development project early this
year. Many of those same e-mails were from people who wanted to be able
to hack the driver sources themselves. Well, here's what you all have
been asking for all year, and what we promised you back in February.

Happy hacking!

Jon Taylor
Linux Driver Engineer
Creative Labs