Re: [linux-audio-dev]HAMMERFALL (was : List traffic)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev]HAMMERFALL (was : List traffic)
From: Scott McNab (jedi_AT_tartarus.uwa.edu.au)
Date: ke marras 03 1999 - 21:06:06 EST

> >I have contacted Winfried about when he is planning to release his
> >driver code,
> >meanwhile I have to decide if I should adapt Winfrieds driver
> >to fit into ALSA or OSS/Free ...
>
> Wouldn't it make sense to support alsa, because of the oss
> emulation layer ?

I second the notion. Write an ALSA driver...you get multi-open and
advanced mixer capabilities trivially and OSS compatibility for free.

> But I understand the alsa driver model is perhaps more difficult...

Writing ALSA drivers is much simpler than OSS driver. Because of the
modular nature of the code most of the work is done for you. Just need
to implement a handful of lowlevel functions.

The only 'difficult' bit is that there isn't really any solid
documentation on writing drivers yet. That being said, there is a lot
of example code in other drivers you can copy from to get you off the
ground and the alsa-devel mailing list is usually pretty responsive
to any questions you may have.

Scott McNab Phone: +61 8 9386 0540
http://ciips.ee.uwa.edu.au/~mcnab-sd/ mcnab-sd_AT_ee.uwa.edu.au