Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA + lowlatency hang (?)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA + lowlatency hang (?)
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: su marras 07 1999 - 08:27:10 EST

On Sun, 07 Nov 1999, David Olofson wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Nov 1999, John Littler wrote:
> > I'll watch out for a ppp or audio concurrence in the future ...
> > now that I think of it I've been online the last two times I've
> > had a freeze - don't think I had any audio going tho
>
> Hmm... I'm getting more and more suspicious about kernel + ppp. I
> have been using both ALSA and the kernel drivers for many hours, and
> done hundreds of open/close cycles without a problem, and I've been
> on-line for some hours too - no freeze today. (Yet.) The crappy
> dial-up server hasn't thrown me out.
>
> Of course, when you're looking for a bug, it doesn't exist! *heh...*
>
> I'll do various stress tests later, I think. I've had ppp do very bad
> things with some kernels (unstable RTLinux versions for example), so
> it's my prime suspect. It seems to be very sensitive for some
> reason...
>

> //David

I can't tell much about ppp+lowlatency2.2.10 hangs, but the hisax.o ISDN
module crashes everytime in the init phase.

Ingo do you have some version of your patch for the 2.3.x tree available so
that we can try it on cutting edge kernel ?
Because you said the 2.2.10 patch was only meant as a "demo" and doesn't
deliver low latencies ( mainly /proc stress) for SMP boxes.

PS: Ingo do you know if your low latency extensions will be integrated in
the next 2.3.x patches, or just before the 2.4 kernel release ?

If you have some patches available please post these somewhere so that we can
find potential bugs beforethe official release.

regards,
Benno.