Re: [linux-audio-dev] SCHED_FIFO machine stalls

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] SCHED_FIFO machine stalls
From: Alexander König (alex_AT_rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de)
Date: pe joulu  10 1999 - 16:09:58 EST

Benno Senoner wrote:
> remember that you need to be root to use SCHED_FIFO, that means
> when setting the scheduling policy to SCHED_FIFO as a regular user
> , the syscall simply returns -1 and does nothing.

Yes, I actually "if (getuid())" before doing anything with prio... Even
for the decreasing the GUI-prio as you can't raise it again as normal
user - hey who wants to be a normal user anyway? :)

<..>

> the lockups you are experiencing, are imho some deadlock, where your app uses
> up all CPU, and you feel like the machine is frozen, even if the kernel is
> stil alive.

Assuming it's a deadlock - does anybody know a good strategy to detect
deadlocks? Errm, random deadlocks btw - stepping through it with a
debugger wont help here - and btw I never managed to get gdb debug a
pthreaded program properly.

Alex

                            Alexander König - alex_AT_42.fht-esslingen.de
                                                  http://termX.cjb.net

[From the Homer Quotables:] I didn't want a hokey second wedding like those ones on TV! This one's for real!

-- Homer Simpson A Milhouse Divided