Re: [linux-audio-dev] Cool synth patches?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Cool synth patches?
From: div_AT_sreal.and.av.com
Date: su joulu  19 1999 - 18:58:58 EST

On Sun, 19 Dec 1999, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> Are there any guides on how to build great sounds available from net
> or bookshop?

Hi Juhana --

   Most of the "synthetic" sounds (ie: not trying to imitate real-world
instruments) were created by more-or-less random experimentation from
what I've heard.

   If you don't have a synth but would like a flexible tool for doing
this type of experimentation, you might want to try the program called
Ein (short for Ein Kleine Filter Editor) from Princeton. A very good book
to go along with it is "A Digital Signal Processing Primer" by Ken Steiglitz,
the same guy who wrote the program. Don't necessarily take my word for
it though; I'm biased, since he was my professor, and we used Ein in class.
However, the program is free, and has been ported to Linux.

Div.

P.S. Yes, I've been missing from the list for a number of months, but
I finally got access to my email again. Thank goodness the heated discussion
about what's now called MUCOS died down a little; it would have overrun my
quota if we continued to get a hundred messages per week!

   In case anyone is curious as to what I've been doing, I've halted work
on Songpad, and transferred my effort to a new project I'm calling Pegs
(Portable Event Graphing System). Like Songpad, Pegs is a sequencer, but
it has two very important fundamental differences.

   First, Pegs is only half of what is traditionally called a sequencer,
the part which displays and edits events. It relies on a separate sequencing
engine like ALSAseq or MUCOS to handle the realtime recording and playback.
This lets me concentrate on the stuff I enjoy without duplicating the effort
of those other fine projects. It helps with portability too.

   Second, Pegs has no built-in notions of what are the properties of an
event, nor how to display it. Instead, Pegs provides display primatives
that the user hooks up to events via callbacks written in a scripting
language (remember I said that the realtime stuff is handled separately).
This means it is not limited to MIDI, but can also handle CSound or any
other event-based system you can think of.

   I'm making nice headway on Pegs (believe it or not, it's a lot simpler
than Songpad), but it's still not ready for its first release. Besides,
I temporarily lost my website, and haven't yet arranged another place to
provide downloads. I'll keep everybody posted, though.

    _..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,' mailto:dgslomin_AT_alumni.princeton.edu
   (il),-'' (li),' ((!.-' http://patriot.altavista-software.com/~div