Re: [linux-audio-dev] Cool synth patches?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Cool synth patches?
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ma joulu  20 1999 - 08:43:09 EST

Juhana - in case you haven't seen it yet, you might want to read:

http://www.neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/ini/PEOPLE/heja/sy-prog/sy-prog.html

its not really quite what you are looking for, but it does have some
good hints on getting good and/or interesting sounds from the SY77
synth, and much of the advice applies to other synths. A lot of the
document is more general stuff on how synthesis works, but i thought
that some of the hints were pretty good.

>Would Csound be able to produce commercial quality sounds? Were from
>I could obtain preset sounds? I have some very simple sounds but nothing
>great; 303 sounds nothing like Supernova.

Csound can produce any sound! The questions are (1) can you
write the instrument definition and (2) will it run in real-time ?
The real time part gets really hard when you want to run it under MIDI
control, because many of the most interesting opcodes tend to require
knowledge of the note duration, which is not available.

Note that on several current digital synths, including those that want
to pretend to be analog, there is a bit of tendency to route the outs
from the "vca" through an FX unit. I know that a lot of the coolest
sounds on my Kawai K5000S (at just under $400 on sale, this is one of
the best purchases I ever made) sound very flat when i cancel the FX
routing. I read about a band recently who use only old analog gear and
they made some comment about not wanting to do any FX processing on it
"to allow the sound to really come through". These people are NOT
noise addicts, clearly. For me, its all about the quality of the sound
too but I don't differentiate between synthesis and processing, or
analog and digital: if it sounds right, it is right!

--p