Re: [linux-audio-dev] Cool synth patches?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Cool synth patches?
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp_AT_ulster.net)
Date: ma joulu  20 1999 - 12:55:20 EST

Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> Hello. Thank you for the replies so far. I will check if I find books
> but so far I have found only books which tells how synths works but
> not how to make cool razor (or any) sounds, for example.
(snip)
> I really don't know it because my Csound has no preset sounds at all!
> Would Csound be able to produce commercial quality sounds? Were from
> I could obtain preset sounds? I have some very simple sounds but nothing
> great; 303 sounds nothing like Supernova.

One book that's interesting is Charles DOdge's "Computer Music", 2nd
edition, published by Simon & Schuster. It describes in detail the
various kinds of synthesis (FM, waveshaping, subtractive, etc.) and
outlines how instruments are put together in the music-N family
(which includes Csound), and gives flowcharts for some pretty
interesting examples. It doesn't give you actual csound code for the
examples, though; you have to understand csound well enough to
translate the flowcharts into instruments. And then you still have
to do a lot of experimentation to find parameters that sound
interesting.

But your best bet may be to download lots of example orcs and scores
and just run them, then see if you can figure out what's going on in
the ones you like and modify them as you wish.
My favorite csound sites:

http://mitpress.mit.edu/e-books/csound/fpage/instr/instr.html
--this links to all the following.

http://www.haint.com/sounds/
--Sean Costello has some really impressive orcs.

http://members.tripod.com/csound/
--The JMC Csound Repository by Josep M Comajuncosas, includes MP3s
of instruments. Many woodwinds, some cool synths.

http://www.babcom.u-net.com/csound.html
--Steven Cook's stuff, some very very good orcs here.

http://www.werewolf.net/~hljmm/csound/
--Hans Mikelson has some really good ones too.

--
slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.