Re: [linux-audio-dev] Debugging question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Debugging question
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd_AT_zip.com.au)
Date: ke tammi  05 2000 - 13:13:46 EST

Hi Juhana,

Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> Hello. I'm annoyingly stuck with my wave editor programming: suddenly
> the window resizes itself to some large size. I guess some part of my
> program overwrites some important memory location. I have gone through
> my code, verified initializations, mallocs, returns of malloced structures
> from functions, etc. but simply cannot see where something goes wrong.
> Assuming the trouble is not in GTK+ 1.2.6, how should I attack this
> problem more systematically, more better?

Isn't debugging event-driven apps fun :-)?

> Should I write some verifying code for every assigment? Eek.
> How good programmers do it? Are there any automatic ways to check these?
> Where is Linux Lint? That sure would help for some kind of bugs.

There is a program called lclint (try freshmeat) but I don't think
there is any bug it can find which won't be found by gcc with all
the warnings turned on. I usually set CFLAGS as follows for
development work :

CFLAGS = -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -pedantic-errors -g -O0

That should find most compile time recognisable C problems.

Unfortunately your problem sounds much more likely to be a buffer
overrun than something that can be found by a C compiler. For this
kind of problem you need a malloc debugger. Have a look at the GNU
Checker:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/checker/checker.html

I've never used it but I have heard that its a good tool.

Also have a look here:

    http://www.cs.colorado.edu/homes/zorn/public_html/MallocDebug.html

Electric Fence looks interesting as it uses virtual memory to track
down out of bounds errors.

Hope this helps,
Erik

     Erik de Castro Lopo     erikd_AT_zip.com.au
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer."
-- anonymous