Re: [linux-audio-dev] misc stuff

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] misc stuff
From: Bill Gribble (grib_AT_cs.utexas.edu)
Date: pe tammi  07 2000 - 10:32:32 EST

rob <rob_AT_kaybee.org> writes:
> i was wondering if anyone had pricing/availability for the RME
> hammerfall cards and what AD/DA boxes you all are using (cheap stereo
> would be ok)?

I have a Midiman Flying Cow which is actually an OK AD/DA unit. No
frills, but it has both AES and s/pdif i/o, it's cheap, and it's one
small box which fits neatly on a tower computer case. I have the
20-bit version, but there's a 24-bit also available... though as with
any low-end 24-bit converter, those last 4 bits are no more than
"marketing bits" (advertised dynamic range of 102 dB --> 17 bits or so
of real information). In any case, it's no Meridian but the DA in
particular is not bad at all. As a reference point, Jerry Tubb at
Austin's Terra Nova Digital Audio (the best mastering facility in this
part of the country) uses a Flying Calf DA in his mastering signal
chain. I was surprised to say the least, but Jerry has the ears and
the budget to put whatever he wants there.

I also have a Symetrix 620AD AD converter which I can recommend
highly. It's a rack-mount unit that is discontinued but still
available at a blowout price (typically around $350, it originally
sold for $1000) from most mailorder places. I've used this box to
convert final mixdowns for a fair number of albums in my project
studio. It sounds noticeably better than the stock converters on any
of the 16-bit DATs or ADATs I have used, even with the Symetrix
outputting in 16-bit mode. It has built-in dithering (two different
dithering functions) to convert its 20-bit converted signal to 16 or
8-bit output.

Bill Gribble