Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] News about sequencers (not my own though!)
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: su tammi  23 2000 - 18:22:52 EST

David Olofson wrote:
> > > to get rid of the jitter that grows with
> > > execution time.

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Paul Winkler wrote:
> > Does this mean that timing tends to get increasingly erratic as the
> > run goes on?
>
> No, what I meant was that if you do

> ...some code...
> output_data(...);
> ...some code...
> output_data(...);
>
> you'll get latencies between the output_data(...) statements.

Aha, yes. This is in fact exactly what I have experienced with my
test code.

> Using time stamps and a simple real time engine to output the results
> should replace this problem with a constant latency.

That's the idea... but I'm not sure how to do the "engine" part.
Maybe play with a design in python and migrate it to a C extension
module. Except that with my (lack of) knowledge of C that would be a
very slow project for me.

> (This is pretty much what the time stamped event system of MuCoS is
> meant for; getting sample accurate timing without running the engine
> one sample period at a time. You can stream MuCoS events from a
> "soft" real time source with seconds of buffering and still get the
> same accuracy in the output result.)

IF pysco matures into something really useful, and WHEN MuCoS does
the same, I'm very interested in interfacing pysco to MuCoS!

--
slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.