Re: [linux-audio-dev] 32/96 x 24 playback improvements, I think

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] 32/96 x 24 playback improvements, I think
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: to helmi  03 2000 - 13:25:53 EST

>Hmm, I tend to use library functions instead of direct system calls.
>So in this case, I use fread(). Am I wasting resources, or is the
>difference insignificant?

fread(3) does it own layer of buffering that duplicates some or all of
what you are doing. Most stdio implementations typically buffer about
4K of a file when reading it (controllable with setvbuf(3)). Its up to
you to decide if you really want the extra copying and memory
allocation going on.

>a P166MMX with Quantum EIDE drives. I have DMA enabled, but it seems
>that mmapping those 512kB blocks still freezes the whole machine.
>With normal buffering (and using fread()'s), there're no dropouts.
>Am I doing something wrong here or is this a hardware problem?

hopefully someone else will have some ideas. i stay away from IDE,
EIDE, UDMA, ATA or whatever the latest version of this type of drive
is called.

--p