[linux-audio-dev] Announce: Brainstorm

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Announce: Brainstorm
From: Div by Zero (dgslomin_AT_alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: pe helmi  04 2000 - 01:21:05 EST

Hi all --

I took a little time off from PEGS to write a unique little program I've
wanted for
a while. It's called Brainstorm, and is essentially a dictation machine
for MIDI.
Since I don't have a Web site at the moment (damn firewall), I'm
attaching the tarball;
it's very small, but my apologies if it's not appreciated.

Here's the readme:

Brainstorm
Copyright 2000 David G. Slomin
Brainstorm is Free Software as described in the GNU General Public
License

Brainstorm is a small program for recording MIDI data. It has no user
interface at all; rather it automatically decides when to start and stop
recording, when to save files, and what to name them. This is similar
in
concept to a dictation machine.

Because it is very lightweight and has no interface, Brainstorm can be
run
as a daemon at all times. That way, you never have to consciously start
up
a sequencer to capture a great new idea when you're brainstorming.
This, of
course, is the origin of its name.

Brainstorm takes three arguments on the command line: the name of the
MIDI input device (or FIFO), a filename prefix, and a timeout.
Brainstorm stores all incoming MIDI events in a buffer in memory. If
it senses that there have been no new MIDI events for <timeout> seconds,
it writes the buffer to a standard MIDI file named

Brainstorm was developed on Linux using the standard free OpenSound
driver,
but should work with ALSA or any other Posix compatible operating system
that
supports raw MIDI streams.

Div Slomin

brainstorm.tar.gz