Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ma helmi  07 2000 - 12:28:41 EST

>Hmm, IMHO it would be best to store the actual audio data using some
>popular audio format (for example WAV/AIFF, file per track). Other
>info (global data), could be saved into some application specific
>format. Otherwise you need audio import/export functionality, etc.

I agree. I will change ardour to store the files as one of the above
formats. Its a trivial change, I think, since ardour's file are
preallocated, and so the header information never (well, very, very
rarely) changes.

>-b:1024 -sr:44100 -n:ruoka-mix-3 -m:normal
>-a:1 -f:s16_le,2,44100 -i osaloop-5.wav
>-a:2 -f:s16_le,2,44100 -i osaloop-1-fx7.wav
>-a:3 -f:s16_le,2,44100 -i sprinkle.wav
>-a:4 -f:s16_le,2,44100 -i acuguitar-4.wav
>-a:5 -f:s16_le,2,44100 -i oldmoog-1-fx.wav
>-a:7 -f:s16_le,2,44100 -i guitar-fades.wav
>-a:6 -f:s16_le,1,44100 -i sinebass-1-fx2-ed.wav

yes, i think this is a good approach.

>Btw; do you really need to load all 26 tracks to an audio wave
>editor at the same time? IMHO it would be better to have a separate
>audio sequencer (multiple track display) and soundfile editor (one
>track at a time).

well, it depends on whether you're using an audio sequencer or not.

the model i am working with is this:

    * incoming analog audio goes to a A/D box, then through a digital
             mixing console and onto a multitrack digital recorder
    * gradual buildup of tracks done on the recorder until we
             have good takes of each track
    * switch out of mixing console mode, and go to computer (mouse,
             keyboard) to run an editor (move, cut, splice,
             crossfade, etc. probably no mixing though)
    * run resulting edits from the recorder back through mixing console

maybe my model is wrong. perhaps an audio sequencer is needed.

I don't think you can really do per-track editing. the edits to each
track have to happen in the context of the other tracks. an example
from yesterday: my friend's percussion ensemble Spoken Hand were doing
a session in a ProTools studio, and we did several edits that involved
moving individual drum hits by a msec or ten. There would be no way to
do this correctly one track at a time. Is this editing a track, or is
this messing with an audio sequencer ? thats a difficult question. i
would rather avoid the protools all-in-one approach.

my big concern is the use of an editlist, which is vital for large
files. programs that expect to be able to rewrite everything they do,
even at the end of an edit session, are not going to be useful. we've
*got* to consider the raw .wav/.aiff files as "immutable".

--p