Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: ma helmi  07 2000 - 17:18:37 EST

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

>> Hmm, IMHO it would be best to store the actual audio data using some
>> popular audio format (for example WAV/AIFF, file per track). Other
> I agree. I will change ardour to store the files as one of the above
> formats. Its a trivial change, I think, since ardour's file are

As Paul Winkler already said, I guess it's best to support all
popular formats (raw/aiff/wave). For instance, ecasound has
internal wav+raw support, but it uses libaudiofile for aiff support.
And because libaudiofile doesn't allow you to open files in
read-write mode, you can't do "direct editing" (you have to use temps).

> I don't think you can really do per-track editing. the edits to each
> track have to happen in the context of the other tracks. an example

You can always have the mixdown program open in another window, so
you can immediately check how your changes affect the overall mix.

> a session in a ProTools studio, and we did several edits that involved
> moving individual drum hits by a msec or ten. There would be no way to
> do this correctly one track at a time. Is this editing a track, or is
> this messing with an audio sequencer ? thats a difficult question. i

I'd say this is definitely audio sequencing. I personally don't
do this kind of stuff very often. I record the tracks, add
effects and that's it.

> my big concern is the use of an editlist, which is vital for large
> files. programs that expect to be able to rewrite everything they do,
> even at the end of an edit session, are not going to be useful. we've
> *got* to consider the raw .wav/.aiff files as "immutable".

Hmm, this is interesting as ecasound/ecawave's approach is just the
opposite. First of all, all ecasound-based programs can do direct
editing with file formats with which ecasound supports read-write open
mode. So you can do things like:

ecasound -i file.wav -o file.wav -efl:400

This filters audio data without using a temporary file. As ecawave
uses ecasound directly, it can be used in the same way. The back side
of this is that all audio files must be continuous (using edit-lists
as you've described, is impossible). So always when editing audio
data, we save the original data to another file and maintain a undo-list
to keep track of changes.

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing