Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: ti helmi  08 2000 - 21:39:48 EST

On Mon, 07 Feb 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> I don't think you can really do per-track editing. the edits to each
> track have to happen in the context of the other tracks. an example
> from yesterday: my friend's percussion ensemble Spoken Hand were doing
> a session in a ProTools studio, and we did several edits that involved
> moving individual drum hits by a msec or ten. There would be no way to
> do this correctly one track at a time. Is this editing a track, or is
> this messing with an audio sequencer ? thats a difficult question. i
> would rather avoid the protools all-in-one approach.

Hmm... In that kind of situation, I'd like to view it as editing a
subset of the tracks as a multichannel file. Just a plain mono/single
track editor won't cut it here... However, that's just about turning
it into an audio sequencer.

Personally, I don't think I'd get much serious work done without an
audio sequencer, as I'm not used to the traditional way of recording,
editing and mixing. When I write songs, I work all over the place all
the time, and I make no strong distinction between MIDI and audio
tracks. Intermediate mixes, just to hear what it all really sounds
like, are a waste of time, as they're audio tracks that will have to
be thrown away if I decide to edit the MIDI tracks they were recorded
from. If the computer plays it, it's sequenced data, no matter if it's
audio or MIDI. Everything else should be recorded in the way that
allows the most flexible way of editing.

I'd guess that philisophy fits pretty well in with how many use
audio-only programs as well. Pure recording/playback is one thing.
Editing is a huge mess of an infinite number of ways of working...

//David

| A Free/Open Multimedia | | Audio Hacker |
`------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/mucos -' | Open Source Advocate |
| Rock Solid Low Latency Signal Processing | | Songwriter |
`---> http://www.angelfire.com/or/audiality -' `-> david_AT_linuxdj.com -'