Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: ma helmi  07 2000 - 13:03:03 EST

Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> >26 takes of 1000 tracks sounds like an incredible amount now, but
> >pro studio work methods seem to always evolve to max out the
> >capabilities of whatever the current technology is. Sooner or later
> >someone will gripe "dammit, I wish I didn't have to limit myself to
> >1000 tracks". I don't know in what circumstances this would ever
> >happen, but then again, 16 bit PCM sound was supposed to be
> >"perfect". And CDs were supposed to be "indestructible". And why
> >would anyone ever need 700k of memory? etc.
>
> yeah, yeah, I knew that i was wrong as soon as wrote this. the file
> name will change to "track.take", as in "99999.18272828".

Brings up an interesting point -- do track names have to be
numbered? It's fun and nice to be able to name things, but I don't
know if this is best done in the filename or in the front end. It
could always default to numbers if the user provides no name.
e.g. "guitar-slinky-OD1.whatever"
(though I don't know if this applies suffix since you wouldn't know
how to characterize each take until after you'd done it. :) )

--
slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.