Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: ma helmi  07 2000 - 16:54:03 EST

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Paul Winkler wrote:

>> editor at the same time? IMHO it would be better to have a separate
>> audio sequencer (multiple track display) and soundfile editor (one
> Have you used ProTools? Where would you place Pro Tools in the
> sequencer / editor spectrum?
> It's heavily geared towards multitrack, but even so its support for
> per-track "editing" is pretty awesome (and totally non-destructive:
> it must use E.D.L's). Pro Tools with only one or two tracks loaded
> would still blow away *any* linux sound editor I've tried so far.

Unfortunately I have never used it, but as people always keep talking
about it, I pretty much know everything I need. ;) Anyway, of course
it would be nice to have a open-source ProTools for Linux, but I can't
see that happening anytime soon.

As I've said before, writing a good GUI takes a lot of time. Adding
multitrack capability to a wave editor adds complexity and thus
requires more development time.

And also, I don't think ProTools approach is the UNIX way to do it.
For instance with ecawave, I could have written an internal wave
editor for qtecasound, but I decided to release it as a separate
package, so others audio-apps can use it. In other words, we should aim to
develop apps for specific tasks. And of course, developing
inter-application communication (did I say MuCoS) is also important.
Keeping multitrack audio data in a standard format is a good example
of this. This way we'll get our LinProTools much faster.

IMHO, when dealing with apps meant for creative work, you can't
write a GUI that pleases everyone. Everyone may want to use
MS Office, but musicians will never want to use the same
instrument model or particular software. :)

Btw; Have I ever mentioned that Janne Halttunen is writing
     a GTK GUI for ecasound. Here's screenshot:
     http://www.pp.htv.fi/jhalttun/gteca.jpg
     Not released, but looks much better than my GUIs. >;)

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing