Re: [linux-audio-dev] "simple" way to handle multi-GB files :-)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "simple" way to handle multi-GB files :-)
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ke helmi  09 2000 - 08:23:29 EST

>My idea is to:
>- determine the max filesize usable by the filesystem (2GB in the ext2 case)
>- handle a large audio "file" in chunks of 2GB.
>- provide functions to open , read , write to these virtual files, which
> use mmap() / munmap() , mapping and unmapping only relatively small blocks in
> memory ( I'd say 0.5-2MB at time) in order to avoid running of out virtual
>mem.

one problem with mmap() is that its more difficult to control
read-ahead. but yes, i like this idea. I did implement something
fairly similar to this called a MappedFile (a C++ object, of course :)
I gave up when I ran into problems with read-ahead. I still have the
object around, and I might return to it at some point.

>I think that such a lib would be another nice goal for MuCos,
>since if such a lib existed, programmers would use it.

I don't think it has much to do with MuCoS, but I do agree that people
would use it. However, if *I* ever implement it in full, I'm afraid it
will be in C++ ...

--p