Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] "pro" soundfile editors for linux
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: ke helmi  09 2000 - 09:51:38 EST

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Benno Senoner wrote:

> Therefore my advice would be not only to supply a list of download links of
> the libs needed for a program for working properly, but putting emphasis
> on installing a packaged version of the lib (RPM, DEB etc).

Yes! :) Rpm/debs make things a lot easier. Here's my guidelines:

        1) on your download page, have direct links to rpm/debs for
           all required additional packages
        2) make rpm/deb packages of your software "official" - release
           them at the same time as you release other packages and
           keep them in the same place (http/ftp server)

> It's not easy I know, but since I switched from Slackware to Redhat,
> I try to use rpm as much as possible,

Same here.

> For work-in-progress software this is much more difficult to implement,
> but at least we should try to ship the needed libs (which do not change that

Not necessarily. Writing a simple makefile addition for building rpms
is not difficult. "make dist ; make rpms" and you're ready to release
a development version.

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing