Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio engine stuff

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio engine stuff
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: ke helmi  16 2000 - 21:06:37 EST

>Not actually. I were worried about because Paul decided to not implement
>the feature (a couple of weeks ago). It does matter if we get sued but
>if people starts perform self-censorism, will it be _very bad_.

I made no such decision. What I said was that what I'm doing in ardour
is very different than in the gigasampler patent because there is no
single start point for the "sample". in this case, the "sample" could
be tens or hundreds of GB long, and as we jump around in it with the
tape transport controls, the start points could be anywhere. however,
i do end up doing read-ahead, big time. Their patent says:

  "The software routine stores a first part of each waveform
   signal in a sample pool of host memory and provides ....

Note the "first". What a HDR system does is

  "The software routine stores part of a waveform in host
   memory ...

But besides, this patent is offensive and disgusting. It should and
must be overturned.

But be warned:

I had dinner with a patent attorney/friend of mine who works with a
lot of s/w patents. He just got back from a workshop in Washington DC
at which the relevant head person at the USPTO told them, in effect,
that they have so many s/w patent applications right now that the
usual delay of 4-5 months for some part of the process has turned in
22. He admitted that they have no database of prior art, inadequately
qualified patent examiners, and that many of the patents they approve
will later be invalidated.

I don't know how long it will before I am sued for patent infringment,
but I think it may not be that long. One day, Linux MusicStation will
publish an interview that est_AT_hyperreal.org did with me. We ended up
self-censoring not code, but part of the interview where I rather
brashly took a "come and get me" attitude. I am willing to fight
patents, but I have no wish to invite a bully into my house :)

--p