Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio engine stuff

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio engine stuff
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: to helmi  17 2000 - 07:22:00 EST

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> I don't know how long it will before I am sued for patent infringment,
> but I think it may not be that long. One day, Linux MusicStation wil

Hmm, are patents really such a problem with GPL'ed software? I mean,
who are they going to sue, a bunch of independent developers around
the world?

And IMHO, it's easy to point out how these common sense software
techniques are based on old inventions. For instance, buffer
preloading has been used for ages. Only change is that now
even the average PCs have loads of memory, so we can preload more
than before.

Ok, I think we all agree here, but I'd say that no company will
start a lawsuit against a few individuals because of some
common-sense patent.

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv_AT_wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing