RE: [linux-audio-dev] join LAD! (fwd)

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] join LAD! (fwd)
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: to helmi  24 2000 - 10:21:17 EST

I agree completely. MN handles flow in a parallel but different way to any
of the entities below. MuCoS encourages yet another way. I don't think we
should be trying to standardise what is essentially the core of any
software synthesis package until we're pretty sure how these should work -
which I don't expect us to have nailed down any year soon - plus
standardisation might stifle development. Again, as PBD says, if people can
sort this these things out, applause! - But it doesn't seem feasible just
now.

Let's not run before we can walk. There are things in the systems listed
below that ARE similar, and IMHO we probably have an adequate level of
agreement/similarity in programming style to write up:
        1) A simple audio streaming mechanism & API for communication of audio
between apps (and soundcards).
        2) A simple plugin API. IMHO this should be a simple *SUBSET* of all these
systems in use rather than a superset. This way people can start coding up
filters and processors and plug them into Csound, Quasimodo or whatever,
making the plugin independent of the flavour of synth engine in use. The
Quasimodo opcode plugin API is very close to this.

-- Richard